Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiple Profiles

November 14th, 2009 by Mel Leave a reply »

Modern Warfare 2 Launcher

I created this launcher to provide multiple profiles for the single player game of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. As there are multiple ways to acquire this game and install it, this may not work for everyone.

Instructions:

1. Download the zip file here
  2. Extract the contents to the install directory for Modern Warfare 2
  3. Create a shortcut on your desktop for MW2 Loader.exe and use it instead of launching the game directly.
  4. When you click “Launch” and you’re asked to select a program or shortcut to run, navigate to the shortcut you would normally use to launch the single player game and select it. This will ensure that the game is run through Steam.
  5. If for some reason you need to re-select a program or shortcut to run, you can do this by resetting the Loader. To do this you need to delete the profiles.xml file located in:
    (XP) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MW2_Loader\
    (Vista) C:\Program Data\MW2_Loader\
    (Win7) C:\ProgramData\MW2_Loader\
  6. If you don’t already have the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 installed on your system, you will need to download it here

Here’s a picture of what the game directory should look like after you’ve extracted the file:
mw2_dir

Note: This only works for the PC version of the game and as far as I know only changes your Single Player profile, which includes all game settings and saved games.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post them below. Feedback and praise is always welcome!

Updates:

2009-11-16:

• Fixed System.IO.FileFormatException: The image format is unrecognized bug.

2009-11-15:

• Fixed bug with new profiles disappearing when not launched.
  • Changed program icon in an attempt to better support Vista and WPF.
  • Implemented ability to choose program or shortcut to launch after loading a profile. You should use this to select the shortcut you regularly use to launch the game with Steam.

209 comments

1. Wrecker.Rox says:

thnx worked for me 🙂

2. raja says:

cant use mouse when launch through MW2 Loader
    but when i launch through the main game loader the mouse is okay

3. HK says:

If you are having trouble using two separate profiles and get an error message along the lines of ‘couldn’t access config or something’ you have to right-click on the launcher or the shortcut of it and run as administrator. Worked for me 🙂

4. Mel says:

Hey Varun and Leo, thank you for the feedback and for trying out this loader! Could you tell me more about the error message you’re receiving when you click “Launch”? Maybe upload a screenshot of it somewhere?

5. varun says:

hey thanks a lot i really needed that, but the the thing is the “Default” profile which is mine (which i’ve renamed) works perfectly fine but, whenever my bro creates another profile for himself and presses “Launch” an ERROR pop-up appears, however mine profile still works fine. I’ve tried several times but i am not able to launch my bro’s profile. PLEASE HELP ASAP !

6. Leo says:

Hi! I liked very much your program, it’s really nice. But then, a problem as appeared to me. When I start the MW_2 Loader, it “requires” a profile to launch the game itself, so I create it and click “Launch!”. Then, the MW_2 Loader window is “closed” and is re-open! It don’t require that I choose the directory that MW2 is installed. No signal of CoD, no matter how many ways I click in “Launch”, is always the same. Can you help me?   T_T

7. robtx18 says:

Funciona Perfecto!

8. Rayon says:

thanks a bunch everyone will be so happy about this, your the best 🙂

9. love says:

u r god!!!! wat a wrk!!!!

10. Seth351 says:

Works beautifully.  You are the man.  Thanks!  I will be using your Black Ops version when Santa brings me Black Ops.  😉

11. montana says:

Great job mate. Just what I need. Thank you!

12. Dan says:

Hi,
    Is there any chance you can create the same kind of profile manager for Black Ops?

• Mel says:

Hey Dan,

I haven’t got a copy of Black Ops yet but I’m sure I can produce a loader for it similar to this one. I’m not planning on getting it for another few weeks though.

Unless someone would like to get me a copy earlier then we’re looking at about 3 weeks until I can get a multiple profile loader written for it.

So stay tuned, I’ll post it here on my blog when I’ve got it.

Thanks!

• Mel says:

Hey Dan,

Turns out I was able to get a loader for Black Ops written sooner than I had expected!

You can find it here: http://mel-green.com/2010/11/c.....-profiles/

To use it is the same drill as before. Enjoy! 😀

13. don says:

first it gives me a fatal error “steam must be running to play this game” then i did as per your(Mel’s) instruction make a shortcut to MW_2 loader & using this insted of launch the game directly,but when i double clicking on the loader it gives me a error as snap:
    i can’t post the snap here,give me your mail id mel,mine is don.20061@gmail.com what a bull**** game i hv purchase.

14. SARcX says:

It works just fine.. 🙂

15. Tom says:

This is awesome – it works brilliantly.

Many, many thanks

16. Nasir says:

Hi…… Every buddy!…..
    nasirz_me@hotmail.com HELLO every buddy….
    Can any one help me for my this problem I’m having a problem…
    My game is not launching have “Fatal Error”
    and below it show “Steam must be running to play his game”
    What would i do…